As Jamaica’s energy provider, we are deeply committed to modernizing Jamaica’s energy infrastructure and support the national development plan to make Jamaica the place of choice to live, work, raise families and do business.
Jamaica Public Service Company Limited (JPS) is an integrated electric utility company and the sole entity licensed to transmit, distribute and supply electricity in Jamaica for public and private purposes. In addition to generating electricity, the Company also purchases power from a number of Independent Power Producers (IPPs). JPS has an important role in the development of a modern, efficient, diversified and environmentally sustainable Jamaican economy. JPS actively contributes to Jamaica’s international competitiveness by helping to reduce the country’s dependence on imported petroleum. The Company supports the growth of a thriving Jamaican society by providing accessible and affordable energy supplies with long-term energy security.
The JPS Rate Review Proposal Submission (2019-2023) to the Office of Utilities Regulation (OUR) is the presentation of our fourth five yearly filing for the continued transformation of Jamaica’s electricity infrastructure. It is also the first under the Revenue Cap regulatory regime that allows the Company to support global trends towards energy efficiency and the integration of distributed energy resources.
The 2019 Rate Proposal is intended to:
- Recover the costs to operate the power system over the period 2016-2023
- Complete the implementation of the terms of the Electricity Licence, 2016
- Elevate the customer experience by transitioning from less efficient, end of life oil-fired generation fleets, to new Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) and renewable generation.
- Improve operational efficiency while enabling customers to track, monitor and save on their electricity bills.
- Facilitate continued investments to modernize and transform the electricity system to a
- Review non-fuel rates to take account of past and future investments.
- Redesign tariff structures to offer more choices for our customers
- Drive commercial growth, customer retention and safeguard the affordability of the